Thursday, January 8, 2015

Fantasy recommendation


Okay, while we are all on the “New Year” phase of making resolutions and so forth I will add my two cents. We writers often start a new year off with the vow that we will finish our book. We write the goal number count on a calendar, set a deadline for the first draft, and restock the kitchen with our caffeine drug/poison of choice. Odd thing is, we proudly boast such things but some genres we come across in writing confuse us.

Never fear, fellow writers. As per my goal for 2015, I will pass along tips and the names of writing books that I will use this year and can’t imagine my library without. Since this writer is still teary-eyed over the deaths of a few dwarves (“Why must my favorite characters in stories all ways die?”) January is Fantasy month. Without further ado, I present my Fantasy lifeline.




1.     The Complete Guide To Writing Fantasy Vol 1, 2, & 3

I have bought dozens (literally, dozens) of books to teach me how to write fantasy books flawlessly. In addition to that I’ve read hundreds of articles and have a textbook on the topic. The Complete Fantasy Guide is my favorite because it doesn’t have one author, it has loads of fantasy authors. Plus there’s a section of the book where they list online resources. This fantasy-writing series is written like a magazine. (Double plus for we college students who don’t have loads of time to read.) Each author gives the readers the perfect amount of information without overwhelming us. The articles give a different depth to world building that covers topics that we writers wouldn’t have thought of until you’ve written yourself into a corner. (Bad thing by the way, potentially great stories die in the corner.)

The key of fantasy writing is world building. The authors of the guide give advice from how to write the magical rules of the world to social systems and then the tinier details such as clothes and weapons. My favorite piece of advice is on how to write the world’s backstory. Which means the world’s creation story, religions, civilization building, and the history. This can be one of the trickiest parts about writing author notes on and is something that when not done well can be the end to an idea. I’ve actually scrapped novel ideas because of messing up during writing my author notes because I didn’t write a loophole free world or magic rule. So when I first found this book was beyond elated to find out what I could do to fix it.

This is definitely a series I could not live without. Seriously, this series is a fantasy writer’s best friend.


Next time: Ann’s #1 fantasy tip...
  

No comments:

Post a Comment